Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Light tent update

Mr. C and me have been looking forward to the mini holiday/long weekend we've had the past 4 days. We scheduled strict stay at home time, to finally resolve the light tent situation. A few weeks ago I did a post on assembling a light tent and was very disappointed with the quality of the photos, everything turned out so dark and granulated.

before

You guys have been wonderful and all of your comments were much appreciated. So here's the thing: such a small detail, but makes all the difference! It turns out we positioned the lights all wrong!

after

It's important to position the lights at a right angle (perpendicular) to the tent. This assures proper light dispersion.

before

And is is more than obvious from the photos, the light tent is now "working" properly. I'm over the moon. Now I can finally get some decent photos of my jewellery. I can't tell you how happy that makes me!
So today's lesson I guess: sometimes it really is as simple as that!

after

And of course we took this opportunity to take some snaps of Rufus.  Cat not happy!
This is the first time we were able to get some really decent shots of him. Let me tell you, it's absolutely impossible to get a good photo of a black cat with a regular point and shoot camera.


Years ago a friend of ours, who owns a super cool professional camera took some pics of Rufus. The only ones we had of him that really captured his gaze and fur properly. These light tent pics are a very close proximate to those and for a fraction of the price.
Though in all honesty, I would love to own a camera like that.

5 comments:

  1. Needless to say, the two last pictures were my favorites.
    Black animals are difficult to photograph. The pictures lack the special features, the animals have. Black is just black.
    How is your shop getting along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks much better now! And that look on Rufus' face is priceless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mette: Extremely difficult to photograph anything black. Usually there is a complete lack of definition and depth.
    The store is up and running, but I'm facing a lot of ungrateful tasks, the bureaucratic aspect of it. Thanks for asking :-)

    Heidi: Thanks. And believe it or not, that's his typical gaze. This cat spends most of his time napping or looking annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Glad to see the light set-up. I'll have to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa: you're welcome. You can also check the link I provided in the previous post on how to assemble a light box.

    ReplyDelete