Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

The Last of the Mohicans...so to speak

I thought I'd go out with a bang and retire this post series with all the pomp and fanfare. So, I present you with my (never finished list) of favourite films. I included links to IMDB and my favourite quotes.
In no particular order:

1. 'night, Mother


Mama, I know you used to ride the bus. Riding the bus, and it's hot and bumpy and crowded and too noisy, and more than anything else in the world, you wanna get off. And the only reason in the world you don't get off is it's still fifty blocks from where you're going. Well, I can get off right now if I want to. Because even if I ride fifty more years and get off then, it's still the same place when I step down to it. Whenever I feel like it, I can get off. Whenever I've had enough, it's my stop. I've had enough.

2. The Human Stain


Granted, she's not my first love. Granted, she's not my great love. But she is sure as hell my last love. Doesn't that count for something?

3. My Big Fat Greek Wedding


What do you mean he don't eat no meat?
Oh, that's okay. I make lamb.

4. Cast Away


My favourite scene:
When he's finally rescued, they throw a party on board the boat that rescued him with a lavish buffet consisting entirely of sea food.

5. Chocolat



Vianne Rocher: And these are for your husband. Unrefined cacao nips from Guatemala, to awaken the passions.
Yvette Marceau: Psshh. You've obviously never met my husband.
Vianne Rocher: Well, you've obviously never tried these.

6. The Last Castle


Take a look at a castle. Any castle. Now break down the key elements that make it a castle. They haven't changed in a thousand years. 1: Location. A site on high ground that commands the territory as far as the eye can see. 2: Protection. Big walls, walls strong enough to withstand a frontal attack. 3: A garrison. Men who are trained and willing to kill. 4: A flag. You tell your men you are soldiers and that's your flag. You tell them nobody takes our flag. And you raise that flag so it flies high where everyone can see it. Now you've got yourself a castle. The only difference between this castle and all the rest is that they were built to keep people out. This castle is built to keep people in.

7. Unbreakable


You could have been a tax accountant. You could have owned your own gym. You could have opened a chain of restaurants. You could've done of ten thousand things, but in the end, you chose to protect people. *You* made that decision, and I find that very, very interesting.

8. Moonsoon Wedding


This movie isn't about dialogues, it's about the colourful scenery and beautiful saturated imagery. The music and the dancing. A very different perspective.

9. Quiz Show


I'm happy that you've made the statement. But I cannot agree with most of my colleagues. See, I don't think an adult of your intelligence should be commended for simply, at long last, telling the truth.

10. The Good Shepherd


Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the chuch; the Irish they have the homeland, jews their tradition; even the niggas, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?
Edward Wilson
: The United States of America, and the rest of you are just visiting.

11. Amelie


Impossible to describe this film or to pick a quote that properly represents it. If it helps however this is the only film my mum wanted to see in the cinema and later on asked me to buy her a DVD. (The last time my mum went to the cinema was to see The English Patient).
12. Secret Window


You know, the only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story, the ending. And this one... is very good. This one's perfect.

13. Under the Tuscan Sun


Signora. Please stop being so sad. If you continue like this, I will be forced to make love to you. And I've never been unfaithful to my wife.

14. The Remains of the Day


I don't believe a man can consider himself fully content until he has done all he can to be of service to his employer.

15. Calendar Girls


I only joined the WI to make my mother happy. I do, I hate plum jam. I'm crap at cakes, I can't make sponge. In fact, seeing as it's unlikely that George Clooney would actually come to Skipton to do a talk on what it was like to be in "ER", there seems very little reason for me to actually stay in the WI. Except suddenly... suddenly I want to raise money in memory of a man I loved, and to do that I'm prepared to take me clothes off for a WI calendar, and if you can't give us ten minutes of your time, Madam Chairman, well then, frankly, guys, I'm going to do it without council approval. Because there are some things that are more important than council approval. And if it means that we get closer to killing off this shitty, cheating, sly, conniving bloody disease that cancer is, oh God, I tell you, I'd run round Skipton market naked, smeared in plum jam, wearing nothing but a knitted tea cosy on me head and singing "Jerusalem".


16 comments:

  1. 'night Mother! Wow, I'd forgotten about that movie. What a tearjerker that was! Good choices - I've seen and enjoyed most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi: yes, it so scary how she makes a good point about suicide! Excellent acting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a list. I will probably try some of these, although our netflix queue is pretty full at the moment, partly due to some of your earlier film posts :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I feel sad now.
    Here I am alone with 13 of your favorite movies, with a gem picked by you, under each of them.
    What an odd feeling..
    Please don´t worry, I´m just surprised by the strong emotion, this very last movie post aroused in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan: We keep purchasing more boxes to store the DVD's and more disc space too.

    Mette: It can be quite powerful going through all the pictures and reading all the quotes. I cried myself when I went through all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolat is my favorite of those.

    I've never understood the appeal of Amelie. I know that many people are crazy about it, but I just didn't "get it", I suppose.

    I watched "Le Divorce" last week and agree with your assessment of it. It wasn't what I would have expected, and it seemed kind of disjointed, and yes it was very heavy on the stereotypes. But I liked it despite all that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh. I know. This is so well said and pointed out. Thank you for taking the time to share this. The most of those films are some of my favorites too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb: You're welcome :-) Out of curiosity, which quote was your favourite?

    Ms. M: I completely respect that. Amelie is very particular, it's one of those love/hate works of art. Nothing irritates me more than everyone cooing over something and expecting me to do the same when I just don't feel it.
    Thanks for the feedback on Le divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flowermouse Design: Thanks!!! It did take more than 4 hrs to put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great array of interesting films,I have only seen 2 of them.....I shall miss your Friday night selections.

    While away I watched a H Poirot with Martin Shaw in 3 Act Triolgy a real cracking HP solving a murder at Hallow'en. I thought of you while watching it have you seen it? Ida

    ReplyDelete
  11. ida: I have seen it. I've seen all of the episodes of the 12th season except Hallow'en Party. And while I do hate to play favourites, this one holds a special place in my heart, both actors were a tour de force, a clash of the Titans if you will. Murder on the Orient Express was a bit too dark for me. I suppose the expectations were too high on this one. Still the final scene is reminiscent of the final scene of Murder on the Nile, very David Suchet style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only seen two of those, but anything with Helen Mirrin, I would pretty much be guaranteed to love. I personally love "The Breakfast Club" (takes me back), and then the TV series "The Tudors". I read so much my movie watching is blanking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori: Dame Helen totally rocks :-D I've got one more season of The Tudors to go. Overall a very interesting show if you reconcile with the fact it isn't very historically accurate and has been "sexified" to the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi coffeeadict! Thank you so much for becoming a follower.
    Your movie-recommendations come in very handy, since some TV series already reached their season finale. If only there weren't so many books waiting to be read at the nightstand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paula: I've been reading your blog for a while now. I like really old TV shows and to the great puzzlement of my mum as well as other people I like to watch my favourite series and films over and over. With me money is never wasted on a DVD ;-)
    Now that winter's coming in, books will make up for a big portion of my free time.

    ReplyDelete