Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday night film selection: Off the map



Rarely has a film eluded concise definition like Off the Map does. I could give a detailed account of the plot, but that really doesn't describe the film at all. Most critics call this film a slow paced one. I disagree. The structure of this film is entirely different from what we are used to in a basic narrative: the beginning, middle and end.
This story has no beginning, it opens in media res and it has no plot, that is resolved through the course of the story. So why watch it then? I can only think of one good reason. To experience it. To experience the quirky characters and the indescribably beautiful scenery of New Mexico and to feel the magic of the story.



Off the Map - Used Girl Scout
Get More: Off the Map - Used Girl Scout

4 comments:

  1. Interesting commentary! I would give the same kind of description to New Country For Old Men, is that the right title?, oh well you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy: I think you mean: No country for old men. This one is still on my to watch list, but from what I've read and seen about the film, I already know it will leave an impact on me. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of this film so google it....sounds my sort of film so must look out for it.

    Do you decide the film to watch or Mr C,and did you both enjoy it & dicuss afterwards?

    Happy w/e to you both. Ida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ida: Mr. C and I both enjoy watching movies together, the selecting process is based on mutual agreement, but sometimes I watch something without him and vice versa.
    Happy weekend to you too :-)

    ReplyDelete