Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Instant happy

Burda Magazine 02/2012

People who know me well can tell you that there are very few things in life that make me as blissfully happy in an instant as the fact that something fits neatly or that something is stored away in a perfect most functional way. I'm just that way I guess.

07. 05. 2012 1

This morning I woke up to the sight of a completely clean and cleared up kitchen table. I can't imagine a  more perfect start of a weekday and the sight of  a clean apartment fills with a sort of quiet resolve that gives me strength to face the week. That and a cup of coffee!
The other thing that made my day was that the dress featured in the pictures I've been sewing came together so perfectly well, all the seams are aligned and the drape and fit are really spot on even if I say so myself.

07. 05. 2012 2

Foolishly I didn't check my supplies before starting this project only to realize at the most inopportune time that I don't have a matching zipper. It was last Tuesday, national holiday and all the stores were closed of course .Yikes! Once more my cousin came to the rescue and provided me with a zipper that matches the colour of the fabric perfectly.

07. 05. 2012 3

And then on Saturday we made a little trip to Graz (pictures to come) and Ikea. Mr. C found some small containers that are made to be mounted on a wall and are ideal for storing bits and pieces. It's just what we've been looking for for our kitchen cabinet with the dishwasher where we also store all of the spare light bulbs and a few tools. It used to drive me mad having it all sort of piled up behind the organic waste dustbin.

07. 05. 2012 4

07. 05. 2012 5

As I sit here sipping my evening coffee, surfing the Internet, reading posts from my favourite bloggers and listening to Mr. C laughing as he watches an old film I feel another kind of happy altogether.
Wishing everyone a peaceful weekday!

12 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of a shortened version of this dress too. How does it look on - it sure looks good on the hanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, stay tuned ;-) I'll post a pic of me wearing it, a few important events coming up that require fancy dressing. Otherwise I've shortened the dress to knee length and added sleeves. The fabric is cotton sateen with a bit of a stretch and it's a very wise choice. It was easier to manage seam alignments.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that a clean organized house makes me happy and motivated.
    Your dress is beautiful

    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen!
      And motivated is definitely the right term, nothing knocks my mood or energy more swiftly than counters full of dirty dishes :-)

      Delete
  3. I am happy to read that you are happy. You have done wonderful work on that dress. It looks perfect!
    The things you mentioned, would also please me - ah, a clean kitchen in the morning!
    What about having a decluttered house, knowing what and where you have the things you wish to have ?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mette, cleaning is a never ending process. I welcome it, most of the time at least. I was hoping to get our basement cleaned up during May holiday, instead the balcony got repainted which was also on the to-do list.
      But I guess you know all about painting and cleaning :-) your stable looks wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Gosh you are so talented...when I see people making dresses I always wish that I could do the same! I am with you on the issue of organization, I think it pleases me to no end to see an organized space. Hope your week is going exceptionally well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs LJ the weather has been exceptionally cooperative: sunny and warm so my week is going great :-) Sewing has always been something that I do for fun as well as relaxation. I always believe the best results are achieved when people are motivated or something gives them joy, very much true with my sewing :-) though this time the dress really turned out great for a number of reasons: great pattern; excellent choice of fabric and a bit of luck.

      Delete
  5. The neckline of the dress is delightful as is the colour.
    You sound so happy and relax....I can never settle if the
    house is cluttered with things lying about,and after the move
    still have a long way to go..waiting for workman is a nightmare!!

    Keep the happy feeling all week. Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving house is both stressful and exciting. I do love all the decorating and planning where things will go but the dirt, noise and a thousand little errands that complicate things are annoying.
      I hope your move is going as quickly and smoothly as possible :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow! I didn't realize you actually made the dress pictured in the next post. You're so talented! Very nice work.

    Cleaning and de-cluttering makes me happy too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of bragging: I made both dresses, the purple one and the pink/red one I wore to the second wedding. I'm very happy with them both. Picking a pattern is always touch and go but I chose right in both cases.

      Delete