Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Substitute

I love the English language because of it's frequent and encouraging use of the passive. Give it up for the Brits with their unparalleled manners to come up with such a diplomatic and exculpatory language. This way I don't have to write: " We, he, I, they... lost the wedding ring." I can simply write: My wedding ring got lost.


It was one of those absurd, nonsensical situations that have like a 1% chance of a disastrous outcome and by some twisted chance, call it a bizarre constellation cluster, bad joke or just faith, my ring got lost. We were at home, I was cleaning the apartment and Mr. C was putting a protective coat of rust proofing on the meteorite inlay of my ring. I guess somewhere in between all this the ring fell into the sink, got taken out with the trash, got eaten by a metal eating squirell (not that I ever saw any in the apartment). It's a mystery.

I'm not even angry or sad, most of all I'm just really frustrated because I'm such an organized person, I take such care of my things and then something like this happens. I guess if God really exists he must have one hell of a sense of humor.


Without giving it too much thought a replacement ring was ordered (see, I'm using passive again) and paid for. In the mean time, I still wanted to have something to wear, if for no other reason than a good conversation piece. So I asked Mr. C to implement his DIY skills extraordinaire and whip up a substitute. So he did: it's a Turk's head knot ring in a sapphire blue twisted cord.

14 comments:

  1. I love your substitute ring and I love your usage of the english language...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I'm trying to implement my lemons = lemonade life strategy too

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry your beautiful ring is lost! But you do seem to be taking it in good spirits I'm sure your new ring will be equally beautiful or is it identical to the one you had? Hope you had a wonderful time on your Honeymoon. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanda, it's going to be identical, ordered from the same Etsy jeweller.
      I was quite upset when it happened but then I remembered my mum lost her husband but still has her wedding ring and I realized it's silly to be so upset over the loss of a thing that is replacable not like loosing loved ones which cannot be replaced.

      Delete
  3. Oh no I'm sorry your ring lost itself, I lost mine too - no wait I mean my ring was lost - after about a year, but it's just a standard band, albeit engraved on the inside, so it was easily replaceable (you can tell I'm not a great sentimentalist). Yours was far more unique, but it sounds like you can get another and I promise you you'll be much more careful with number 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, passive is great :-D Mine can be easily re-ordered and engraved again, so while it won't be the same, same ring we exchaded during the wedding ceremony, the symbol for which it stands for remains very much the same. Besides, as I've recently come to see, even an extravagant wedding and exclusively designed rings aren't the stuff of a happy and long marriage, it's the people.
      But you are absolutely rigt, I'll be more careful with no. 2!

      Delete
  4. What a relief, to be able to get an identical ring to the lost one!! Bad luck with the original one - those things happen IRL -but due to the loss, your husband made you totally unique substitute. So, this sad story has a very happy end, and end up with two rings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mette, yes, nother great piece of jewellery and it matches the sapphire in my engagement ring too. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  5. The blue Turk's head is a keeper....all Mr C's love is in that ring.

    Why are nouns masculine or feminine in other languages?

    All Nouns are Neuter eg...Definite Article (The)
    ..........................Indefinite Article(A or An)

    Here endith the English lesson....the nuns were hard task masters over the language!! Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most languages have the middle sex as well. For me the most difficult thing was to remeber that the French la chaise (feminine) is the German der Stuhl (masculine) and so on... Slovene language has three sexes as well, though we don't use articles at all, but we do have conjugations, inflections and declentions.

      Delete
  6. Oh Ana, I relate to your frustration, having nearly lost a valuable piece of jewelry on our trip to New York last week. I love jewelry, but the pieces are so little and seem prone to getting lost.

    I'm very glad to hear there is a duplicate on its way and I love Mr. C's blue Turk ring. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tiny precious sparkly things... how drawn we are to them :-)
      I rarely travel with expensive pieces, it makes me nervous and afraid I'd loose them, but then again I absolutely refuse to not use something precious and beautiful just because there's a chance it might get lost or broken. Otherwise what's the point of having them in the first place?!

      Delete
  7. Oh Ana, I am sorry to read that your wedding-ring got lost. Hopefully the new one will be where it belongs soon!
    The way you describe the incident you seem to have found a healthy distance to the occurance and did give it too much power over you. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thanks!
      As a point of interest, we did finf the Gibeon meteorite (it's in our wedding rings) at the Museum of natural history, while we were in Vienna. It was a giant specimen too!

      Delete