Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Marilyn was on to something

Over the past year I've started to notice a steep decline in the quality of clothing from the brands I used to rely upon. At first it was just the little things, like the occasional button falling off or a loose thread. Lately it has reached unthinkable proportions: brand new knits piling after the first few washes, colours fading and items stretching out. I was annoyed to say the least but then the latest incident had me bouncing off the walls.

Vienna public park December 2012

I got the coat in the picture for Christmas from Mr. C. The label is Desigual, a Spanish brand known for their youthful and fun colourful patchwork and applique designs. This coat is all about fun. Therefore I was willing to overlook the poor fiber composition, since I already have a solid classic coat and a rainproof winter parka.
I've had it for three weeks and in this time I've worn it maybe a dozen of times when I started noticing fraying at the cuffs and the hems of the coat. I was bewildered. Seriously?! A frayed hem after a handful of wears? And I'm not talking about a subtle loose thread here, this was serious and visible fraying. We took the coat back to the store and got a refund for it. This was my second shock. The sales assistant offered a full refund on the spot and told us in a matter of fact style that refunds were a common occurrence with Desigual clothes. Consumerism mentality at its worse.
closeup, very difficult to get a good picture

After returning the coat, Mr. C took me to my favourite jewellery store to purchase plan B Christmas gift: a simple white gold and teeny diamond pendant. It's such a sweet design, not too flashy and perfect for everyday. They also have matching earrings and since this is part of a permanent collection, I can afford to wait and get the earrings whenever I'm able to afford them.

the pendant worn with a necklace I got for my 18th birthday

The best part: the pendant cost just 10 € more than the coat but I'm sure it will prove more durable. So I'm taking a cue from Ms. Marilyn Monroe here, diamonds are indeed a girl's best friend!

17 comments:

  1. Good morning Anna- I am so with you, so tired of poor quality...most things have to be handled like they are made of spider web...fraying, shrinking, stretching....I am glad they took it back and I love your pendant...dainty and beautiful. Happy Thursday to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and it isn't just clothes, it's the fabric I buy for my projects too. Imagine spending quite some time to sew a new garmnet only to have the fabric pile up or strech :-(
      since it's already Friday as I write this: wishing you a happy Friday and a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. That's a shame about the coat. I love the look of it in that photo but am appalled that it frayed so quickly. Meanwhile, your gorgeous pendant will last forever. That's another reason why I love jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I loved the coat, it was a great fit and so vibrant and cheerful, but the fraying was unacceptable. The diamond won't keep me warm but like you said it will last forever.

      Delete
  3. The pendant is lovely. Great minds work together :), as I mentioned Marilyn in my post today as well! Sorry about your coat and I do agree that quality is greatly deteriorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn was one of a kind! It's remarkable how iconic she still is considering it's been a decade since her death.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the coat. It looked so special. Switching to a diamond was sensible. They are durable - as long as you don´t lose them.
    I have noticed the very same thing about the clothes. One of our main labels, now available worldwide, once 100% reliable, now makes clothes and textiles, which are sadly of poor quality. Everyone, with whom I´ve discussed the matter, agrees.
    When the company started decades ago, the clothes were made here in Finland, now in Estonia.
    I have nothing against Estonia, but why is the quality now so poor? As a Finn, I am ashamed of the quality of this famous brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reducing the cost of materials and labour and increasing the profit. So sad and shameful. Yet people still accept it, I don't know. But I'm already replacing some of the brands I used to swear on.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pendant and so sorry about the coat.. I agree that items of clothing really are not lasting as well as they should now... Happy 2013,... S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, a happy 2013 to you too!
      Maybe this will be the year I discover a quality brand of clothing. One can hope :-)

      Delete
  6. My daughter and I mostly shop at secondhand stores for this reason. She explains that if you find something you like in a secondhand store and it's still in one piece, all the damage has probably already been done and it will hold up for a while yet(has already been shrunk, etc, no surprises!)....this is my 15 year old who appears to have the outlook of a 50 year old...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secon hand shopping is still in its infancy here in Slovenia. Current recession is a perfect opportunity and a few opened up this past year. What irks me is the fact that the clothes are imported so once again we've become the dumping ground for unwanted or poor quality items.
      Your daughter sounds very wise and from the glimpses of your family life on your blog (her sense of style in decorating her room) she sounds like a very interesting and intelligent young lady!

      Delete
  7. Was admiring the coat and blue tights, disappointed about the poor workmanship,seems typical these days.

    Diamonds are forever! Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the blue tights are my effort to look less like a tourist :-) I'm wearing my trusted Doc Martens walking boots but still decided to go with a skirt and a pair of vibrant tights. More to come in a separate post.

      Diamonds are forever!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Things seem to come and go these days in youf life! Was the desigual refund from a desigual store or can you get other brands as well?

    Second hand shops in Vienna aren't much better, unfortunately! I read about all those heavenly "steals" women in the US make at thrift stores. Maybe women in the US consume more and tend to give away more nice stuff than women in Austria or Slovenia? The stuff you find in vienna's 2nd hand-stores is from women above 70 who died recently. (not all of course, but a lot!)

    PS: I guess that makes me one of the rare people who had the chance to meet you with your "short-term"-coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Desigual coat was from a department store Peek & Cloppenburg. I love their selection of brands, but will be steering clear of the Desigual section.
      I agree with you on the US vs. European mentality and thrift finds. I suppose the fabulous finds in U.S. are just the other side of the consumerism coin!
      And yes, you and Mr. P were one of the few people who saw the coat :-D

      Delete
  9. Diamonds are a girls best friend indeed and that pendant is LOVELY :-)
    I know what you mean about the quality of clothing these days. It's so sad that a lot of things seem to be made quickly and cheaply for maximum profit
    rather than being made well.

    ReplyDelete