Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Our wedding day


The single white rose was a token from the florists who did my bouquet
Was a culmination of a 10 year long journey. And as such we wanted the ceremony and the entire day to reflect who we are as people and to really emanate our personal aesthetic. Mr. C and I have often discussed our wedding day and like true perfectionists we've been making plans, tossing together a collage of ideas, adding and subtracting details. But the prime directive was and has always been the one location rule. Traditional Slovene weddings include many customs and rituals which take place on several different locations throughout the day which can be very uncomfortable and exhausting for everyone. It was precisely this that we wanted to avoid at all cost. If the was one thing we wanted to skip this day was all the drama and the stress. So we opted to have our civil ceremony at Ljubljana Castle and the wedding party at The Castle restaurant (where I celebrated my 30th birthday as well).

What's a party without ballons?
Imagine the pure luxury of waking up at 8 am on the morning of the wedding, slowly sipping coffee and watching an old episode of Lost. Then came the hairdresser, photographer and make up artist. Since we had done a test look the week before I knew exactly what to expect and I just sat, chatted with everyone and time passed slowly interrupted only by the sound of the hair dryer or the gentle noises of a kabuki brush as make up was applied.

More flowers

Mr. C's best man arrived as agreed at 1 p.m. looking sharp with his tie perfectly straight while we were still in our lounge wear getting ready. We departed for the Castle about an hour later, had our photos taken in the beautiful park that surround the Castle and then I guess the only thing left to do was to actually get married. The ceremony was beautiful: sweet and meaningful. I even remember laughing at one point.


Wedding bouquet
 All in all it was a perfect day. Everything went smoothly, we could really just relax and enjoy ourselves. Our guests were a select group of close relatives and dear friends thus making it in the words of one of our guests: "A very intimate, warm and personal event." I was overjoyed to hear this because it was exactly what we wanted our guests to experience.
I'm still waiting for the official wedding photos, in the mean time a couple of snapshots I took  with my tiny pink camera just as a sneak preview.

Party favours, make up essentials, wedding rings and flowers and a check list
One of my favourite moments (apart from the getting married bit, of course) was the introduction of the guests. A ritual we borrowed from my cousin's wedding. It's quite simple: somewhere after the initial start of the party, but preferably early on, the groom stands up and introduces himself and asks the guests that as the microphone travels from one guest to the next that they stand up introduce themselves and briefly explain how they know the bride or the groom. Imagine a room full of people beginning the sentence:" I've known them for many years, decades, all my life,...) expressing their joy and sharing anecdotes from our mutual past. It was very moving to say the least!

Vintage enamelled brooch

The brooch in the last picture was a wedding gift from a dear old friend. I can't even put into words how very deeply moved I was when receiving it. It comes with a bit of a history and a lot of sentiment. My friend had bought it over a decade ago and  I had been pining over it ever since. He said he couldn't imagine a more suitable gift for such an occasion and I couldn't agree more. It serves as a reminder that dreams do come true, you just have to be patient.

18 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely, special, warm and meaningful day. Exactly what a wedding *should* be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that sums it all up in one sentence! Exactly what a wedding should be.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your wedding. It sounds like the day was just perfect. We, too, opted for a personal, low-key wedding. The most important thing for us was to be surrounded by our family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, thanks. I'm a big believer in low key intimate weddings and the less is more rule. Less fuss, less rituals and unnecessary elements.

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely perfect day you had. I love the introduction of guests during the ceremony. It makes perfect sense and adds such a personal/intimate touch to a very special occasion. Your bouquet is breathtakingly elegant. And oh yes, the personal touches in your apartment are oh so elegant. Love the first picture with the tiny (reindeer antlers?) as ring holders. Thanks so much for sharing these details of your special day and much, much happiness to the two of you. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your special day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanda, thank you for your sweet comments :-)
      It never occured to me before but the little jewellery trees do look like antlers. They are from Menu, a Scandinavian brand: http://www.menu.as/en/collection/living/living-unplugged/3800059/t and were a splurge, sort of a house warming present to ourselves when we moved in our apartment.
      More pictures to come soon.
      Wishing you very cheerful holiday season!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an absolutely perfect day...congratulations! And now you will celebrate your first chrismas and new year as a married couple. I love your bouquet and hope you share some photos later. Love the brooch too. With much love...m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bouque is very wintery. I was overjoyed when the florist said they can get the flowers I wanted, especially the different branches of conifer trees as well as ivy accentuated with tiny white blooms (freesia, ranunculus and waxflower).
      And we'll be combining New Year's celebration with our honeymoon as well. It really can't get more romantic than that, right?

      Sending hugs and warm greetings to you and the cat boys

      Delete
  5. To be allowed to share this moment is truly wonderful,having travelled the blog road with you through many up-times as well as the down....I have enjoyed the journey culminating in a wedding...yes we can make our dreams come true with a certain amount of work,you have proved this.

    The bouquet is so you,I also had freezias in my bouquet with their delicate scent,and the antique brooch is exquiste.

    Congratulations on your wedding,wishing you both many years of happiness as another adventure starts.Ida xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ida, thank you for the wonderful comment. It really made me look back and think about all the things that have happened in the time I've been blogging as well as the past ten years.

      Wishing you a happy and warm holiday season!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, it sounds like you planned the perfect day for you. Can't wait to see some more photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison thank you!
      More pics to come including the pictures of the dress :-)

      Delete
  7. Thank you Ana for sharing these small meaningful details of your wedding day!
    Constructing the wedding day " your way " is what I expected from you.
    Btw, those freezias in your wedding bouquet ( resembling amazingly the one I had ), will most likely bring you many, many happy years. Ida, long married to her husband, and I, 38 years of marriage, both carried them in our bouquets. A magic flower!
    Looking very much forward for more news : )mette, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mette,
      Small meaningful details indeed :-) they do tell a story. As for the flowers, wow, I had no idea. I know that there is a whole symbolism when it comes to flowers. I got the impression the florist knew it well, because when we were discussing which flowers to put in the bouquet she rejected several suggestions, saying they don't belong in a wedding bouquet but the freesias where a must.

      Delete
  8. Hello again, Anna
    I just have finished looking back at your posts from December 2011, in which you provided details of how you prepare for and celebrate Christmas (as suggested in a comment you left on my blog). I really enjoyed the journey through your preparations for the holidays. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanda,
      I'm delighted to read you took the time to go through the posts :-) and I do hope it gave you a glimpse into this magical holiday season as seen through my eyes and the eyes of my family.

      Delete
  9. Ana, your wedding day sounds so lovely and very much like the people you both are, at least from what I've learned about you here. I'm very, very happy for the two of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D
      Thank you Susan!
      Wishing you a very happy holiday season xoxo

      Delete