Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday night film selection: Death on the Nile

To those who don't know me yet, I am a huge, HUGE fan of all Poirot movies starring David Suchet. I own most of them on DVDs and it's a collection I cherish immensely.



This is one of the many intervies Mr. Suchet did on the Poirot series and his role as the world's favomus Belgian detective.. The first thing I noticed when I first saw this was his voice. His natural voice is a very deep warm barritone. I remeber watching this with Mr. C. We were both left speechless. Yes he talks like that and then goes off to talk like Poirot, a high pitch melange of Belgian/French accent English.
There are many reasons why I love Poirot movies. Besides the superb acting, there's the outstanding costumography and scenography. But I'm mostly drawn to the language. Thought these movies are meant to be light entertainment, most scripts could rival a decent American production of a heavy duty drama story.
Death on the Nile is my favourite Poirot movie and I must have seen it at least 20 times. No, I'm not exaggerating. I know all the scenes and most of the dialogue by heart now. The reason I keep watching it: I get drawn into this tragic love story every time. I know I'm such a sap, but this movie makes me cry every time.

Warning: this clip contains spoiler!



This scene is the final scene in the movie and it's the part where I always cry. Watch for the face Poirot makes around a minute and a half into the clip. No words necesary. He is able to convey it all: the sorrow, the pain and regret all in that one twich of the jaw. Remarkable!

No comments:

Post a Comment