Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Happiness comes in a box: Artisan beads

We all know them: the little trinkets that cost next to nothing but they make us incredibly happy. Whether it's because they fulfill a certain purpose in our household or are there simply for their intrinsic beauty.

The newest addition to my bead stash: two gorgeous pendants from Claire Maunsell from stillpointworks. I discovered Claire's work a couple of years ago while participating in my first Bead soup event and was drawn into the unique and incredibly complex and detailed beads she makes.


I saw the house pendant in her Etsy shop and had to have it. I rarely become so enamoured, so drawn to something that I've almost forgotten the accompanying compulsion of hitting that Buy! Buy! Buy! button and the frenzy of filling out the on - line shopping form.


I confess that at one point I had this paranoid thought that somewhere across the globe there was another person buying the pendant at that exact moment and trying to beat me at completing the purchase.


Claire was way too generous and sent along the extra tubular bead humbly suggesting I pass it forward if I didn't like it. Well... I don't see that happening any time soon ;-) Since I fell in love with the extra bead on the spot and I'm already plotting on how I'm going to use it.


 As for the pendant featuring the house, I already have a pretty clear idea: I'm going to make a long wire wrapped necklace incorporating faceted clear quartz. I'm also thinking of incorporating lampwork beads and maybe even some dyed fresh water pearls.

10 comments:

  1. Such unusual pieces of art. They remind me of treasures that could have been unearthed during an archaeological dig in the Middle East. I can't wait to see how you use each of these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanda, you're absolutely right, there's a raw and undeveloped quality to these beads that instantly reminds of ancient artifacts ;-) I also know that Claire uses patina in a most clever way giving her beads that gently aged look.

      I've been scouring Etsy in search of the perfect beads to go along with the pendants! On-line shopping in small doses can be relaxing

      Delete
  2. Lovely. They are little works of art! What a fab freebie bead too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just that I didn't expect the freebie to be larger than the bead I ordered ;-) way too generous! I feel like it's Christmas all over again.

      Delete
  3. Unique and handmade. Great.
    I find it hard to wait and see what you will come up with with the beads, please hurry ; ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mette, I will place the order for extra beads in the coming week and then the long wait for the package to arrive begins. Sigh!

      Happy Sunday :-)

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful pieces. I look forward to seeing what you make. I might need to do a little shopping at your store :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, all of the latest stuff Ive made is still packed and waiting to be photographed. It's something Mr. C does but now in his absence I'm going to have to find the time to do it myself. Sigh!

      I've already started palying around with various components, that's my favourite part of the process :-)

      Delete
  5. Each piece is an art in itself,the first one reminds me of the turquoise of Aegan seas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judit, that bit of turquoise in an otherwise dark palette is brilliant.
      I've neer seen the Aegan sea but I'm told it's beautiful by people who fell in love and keep going back to the Greek islands in the area.

      xoxo Ana

      Delete