Besides making my own clothes and jewellery I also occasionally tinker with cosmetic. Over the past few years I've become very wary of what I put on my body as much as what I put in it.
I've discarded all 'beauty product' laden with chemicals and am no longer swayed by glossy adds and cute containers of lotions, emulsion or whatever emitting synthetic aromas. I find those quite pungent.
The beauty of this body scrub is that it's so easy to make and you're likely to have all the ingredients in your pantry at all time.
What you'll need:
- about 5 to 6 heaping table spoons of salt;
- half of a lemon;
- 1 to 1,5 tablespoons of body oil, any kind of oil is good (baby oil, almond oil,...) If you don't have body oil just use regular olive oil.
Use immediately and discard any leftovers.
A few notes of warning:
- never use it on your face or sensitive body areas
- never use it on damaged skin or open wounds
- instead of salt try using oats, polenta or bulgur (Grains are supposed to be very beneficent to dry skin and you may even add them to your bath. Just fill a sachet full of oats and discard afterward.)
- instead of lemon juice grate a medium apple and either use only the juice or add the grated apple into the mixture.
If you decide to try it out, I'd be very interested to hear about your experience. Also, if you have any of your own favourite homemade cosmetic please feel free to share.